Namibia to reinforce UBC rules just as they're scrapped for SA

2019-05-07 10:54 - Marisa Crous
Post a comment 0

Minister of Tourism, Derek Hanekom addressed the International Air Transport Association (IATA)'s decision made on 2 April, giving airlines the all clear to allow families to travel without unabridged birth certificates to South Africa, at the recent Travel Indaba 2019 as "an issue that's finally been put to bed". 

READ: Growing Kruger connectivity the newest rung in SA’s route development, as 66% of Africa’s underserved markets open for business

A decision that heard the entire SA tourism industry breath an almost audible sigh of relief.

The industry, that has been battling with this issue for three years, finally saw the IATA ease on its inbound unabridged birth certificate (UBC) rules earlier in April. Now, only a passport is needed for children under 18 if they travel with parents on a visa-exempt passport.  

However, now an 'updune' battle could lie ahead for Namibia, who announced that it will now reinforce UBC rules for minors travelling to and from its borders, says Tourism Update SA.

In a new release, The Namibian Ministry of Home Affairs and Immigration states officially that children under the age of 18 travelling to and from Namibia must carry original or certified full birth certificates in addition to their passports.

"Adults travelling internationally with children who are not their biological offspring are advised to provide an affidavit giving consent for travel from the child’s biological parents or legal guardians. 

"If a child is travelling with only one parent, the other parent must provide consent for the child to travel with the parent in question. If one parent is deceased, a copy of a death certificate of the deceased parent should be provided.

"An unaccompanied minor travelling to or from Namibia is also required to produce a letter or affidavit as proof of consent to travel, from one or both parents or legal guardians. A letter from the person who is to receive the child, containing the residential address and contact details where the child will be residing; a copy of the identity document or valid passport and visa or permanent residence permit of the person who is to receive the child; and the contact details of the parents or legal guardians of the child must also be provided", states the release.

For updated info, visit the Embassy of Nambia.

Find Your Escape by searching and comparing flight prices hereYou can also sign-up for the Traveller24 Weekly Newsletter – Subscribe hereOr download the News24 App hereto receive expertly curated travel ideas and deals directly to your mobile.