Trail Up the Creek for this epic festival in Breede River. (Photo: Supplied)
You know it's the start of a new year when you get ready to hunt for that cheap blowup floatie for Up the Creek festivities.
From 7 - 10 February 2019 hordes of pizza and unicorn lilos will descend upon the Breede River in Swellendam, as Creekers splash out to the best in local acts.
READ: How to choose the perfect floaty for summer
Mo money less tickets
Tickets are limited to 2 500, and less than a thousand is still available, so if you still need to squeeze in some summer fun you'd better get them fast from their website. They only have full weekend passes for R1 120 and full-weekend tickets + transport packages for R1 800 left for you to snag - these are excluding booking fees. The party gates will open on Thursday at 11:00 and the festivities will start at 15:00.
Something new and some things borrowed...
An exciting change for the 2019 festival will be the addition of a late-night rock 'n roll stage.
The stage will be operating from the Gordon’s Gin Food Court stage and will provide a rocking space set to come alive Friday and Saturday after the Jägermeister Main Stage finishes.
It will also offer live music enthusiasts something great to dig in to if they don’t fancy what’s happening on the standard Savanna Late Night Stage. This stage will then be closed on Friday by The Robfather, and Saturday by Up the Creek`s very own, infamous DJ Dirtroad.
Considering requests and feedback, The Food Court will now also have a fully operational bar open all day and night.
CHECK OUT: #AfriTravel: Top festivals and events to plan around in 2019
That snazzy lineup
The line-up so far is also looking Creek-tastic, and with these names you'll definitely start off 2019 on the right foot, with 2018 becoming but a distant memory:
- Hot Water
- Sean Koch
- Alfred Adrian (Comedian)
- Southern Gypsey Queen
- Nick Hamman
- Pedro and the SOULdiers
- DJ inviZAble
- The Black Cat Bones
- Femi Koya
- Grassy Spark
- Gerald Clark and the boys from Prague
- Jackal and the Wind, Crosscurrent
- Lo Ghost
- Stone Jets
- Koos Kombuis
- Bam Bam Brown
- Piet Botha
- Greg Georgiades & Ultra Natives
- The Steezies
- Diamond Thug
- Money for Bali
The new rock 'n roll stage will be graced by some super cool rock acts as well including:
- Hell Cats
- Bed on Bricks
- Willim Welsyn
- Collaborative mystery bands led by stalwarts in the industry: think Andre Kriel, Gareth Wilson, Jaco Mans and Greg Georgiades to give you an idea of why this is going to be one of those ‘dude-don’t-miss-out’ party spots at the festival.
- Up the Creek's very own, infamous DJ Dirtroad, will close the stage on Friday and Saturday night.
SEE: Run away from the city to Rawsonville
Live that cashless life
The festival will also be going cashless with Howler Loaded. You'll be able to load money onto your bar-coded wristband making for quick and easy purchases of that much-needed ice coffee in the mornings and those midnight potato twists on sticks.
If you don't manage to burn through all your loaded monies, you can cash out the week after the event with Howler.
Camping or glamping?
Up the Creek is one of the few festivals still around that let's you pitch your tent next to your car, but they also have a 'car-less' camping ground if you're willing to do the long haul for that extra green patch. If you're more into the glamping life you can splurge a little bit more and check into the Heartbreak Motel that comes with bed or mattress-on-the-ground options.
SEE: Camping not your thing? Try Glamping!
Other bits and bobs
- Remember your ticket (printed or on your phone)
- A valid form of ID. Your Spur club card won't suffice.
- NO GLASS PEOPLE. We don't have to explain why.
- Lots of bottled water - you can't drink the Breede River.
- No braais allowed. Either it's your mom's potato salad or you spend your savings at the food court.
- Don't be a douche.
- Enjoy the roadtrip - there are lots to see on the way to Swellendam. Factor in some time for a bit of wanderlust.
- Remember your friends. They won't be too happy with you if you leave them behind.
Check out the after-movie of the last Up the Creek below just to get you more excited:
Find Your Escape by searching and comparing flight prices here. You can also sign-up for the Traveller24 Weekly Newsletter – Subscribe here. Or download the News24 App here, to receive expertly curated travel ideas and deals directly to your mobile.