Seychelles / The Ocean Agency / AP
South Africans who have been wanting to visit the visa-free Seychelles, now have even more access to the popular tropical destination.
Air Seychelles has just increased capacity to a new daily service between the Seychelles and Johannesburg.
Flight HM061 from Seychelles to Johannesburg will be operated by an Airbus A320 aircraft featuring 16 business class and 120 economy class seats.
QUICK GUIDE TO SEYCHELLES: Visa-free for South Africans
Charles Johnson, Chief Commercial Officer of Air Seychelles says, “At Air Seychelles we are constantly looking at ways to maximize convenience and flexibility for our guests.
“After having added a sixth weekly frequency last year, we are thrilled to be now offering daily service between the two countries which also demonstrates the importance of strengthening business, tourism and cultural ties between the Seychelles and South Africa.
“Besides catering to both leisure and business travellers, together with the support of our code share partners we are also able to provide a combined experience to South Africa and beyond.
Here's what you need to know if you go:
- Visas: No visa is required for South Africans for up to three months - granted you have a valid passport
- Population: About 95 144 +/- presently
- Flight Route Access: Seychelles offers direct flights between South Africa (only from Johannesburg and Durban) and Seychelles.
- Flight time: About under 5 hours for direct flights and connecting flights range between about 10 hours and 50 hours (depending on the amount of connections and layover time)
SEE: Seychelles: Five top resorts to try
- Currency: Seychelles Rupee (SCR) Current Exchange Rate: R1 = 1.08 SCR
- Medical and health: To avoid illness and dampening your trip experience, be sure to heed the warnings and get the appropriate vaccinations beforehand. All Travellers: Routine Vaccinations (measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine, varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, polio vaccine, and your yearly flu shot). Most Travellers: Hepatitis A, Typhoid. Some Travellers: Hepatitis B, Rabies, Yellow Fever.
- Religion: Roman Catholicism is the most dominant religion in the region. There are also Anglican and Protestant churches and places of worship. Other religions practiced in the area include: Islam, Hinduism and Baha'ïsm (mostly in the Mahé, Praslin and La Digue communities).
- Time Zone: Seychelles operates on Seychelles Time (SCT) which is UTC+4 - Seychelles is 2 hours ahead of SA.
- Emergencies: Dial 999 - for more emergency numbers: click here.
- Public Transport: Busses are the main form of public transport in Seychelles. Bus services operate throughout the day, from 05h30 to 20h30 and fares cost around 7 SCR for an all day ticket, 15 SCR for aircon services and 10 SCR for night bus services. For more information: click here.
- Useful App to download: Bouzay (the Seychelles version of Uber) for getting around.
- Climate: Seychelles has a tropical climate. The weather is always warm and does not really reach extremes of heat or cold - as it rarely drops below 24°C or rises above 32°C.
- Best time to go: Taking into consideration of the climate and rainy seasons, the best time to gois between April, May, October and November. However, different parts of the year allow for different activities - like bird watching, fishing, diving, snorkelling, sailing etc. For more information: click here.
- Language: English, French and Creole are the official languages. Most Seychellois speak all three with Creole being the most popular and commonly spoken - by about 95% of the population.
Find Your Escape by searching and comparing flight prices here. You can also sign-up for the Traveller24 Weekly Newsletter – Subscribe here. Or download the News24 App here, to receive expertly curated travel ideas and deals directly to your mobile.