Becoming a flight attendant can be the adventure of a lifetime. You get to travel around South Africa, from one city to the next, and even get to fly around the globe.
South African airline carriers like Mango, kulula, FlySafair and South African Airways (SAA) all have their own CV requirements as well as personal attributes they look for comes to recruiting flight attendants to be part of their cabin crew.
READ: Should you tip your flight attendant? Local airlines weigh in
Here are some requirements SA carriers look for when employing flight attendants:
1. Candidates must be a South African citizen and have a valid ID document and passport.
2. It's kind of a myth that air hostesses or hosts need to be super tall. You must just be above 1.57 cm tall to be able to reach the overhead stowage.
3. You must be 18 years or older, and have a Matric/Grade 12 qualification – most airlines prefer individuals to be between 20 and 35 years of age.
4. You must be well-groomed and service-orientated.
5. The ability to stay calm under pressure is very important – i.e. you will also be expected to have stamina and be able to handle fatigue - long hours and stressful conditions.
6. You must be able to speak, read and write English.
7. Swimmers only! You must be able to swim in water, with the aid of a life jacket.
8. Be in possession of a valid Class 4 Medical Certificate.
9. Applicants must be physically fit and medically fit.
10. All applicants must be able to work unsupervised and as part of a team.
11. All applicants must be willing to relocate.
Sources: SAA, SA Leadership, Chron and Mango.
Find Your Escape by signing up for the Traveller24 Weekly Newsletter – Subscribe here. Or download the News24 App here, to receive expertly curated travel ideas and deals directly to your mobile.