South African Airways says due to the closure of the main runway at the Chileka International Airport in Blantyre, Malawi - flight operations have been cancelled on Wednesday, 24 April and Saturday, 27 April.
The Malawian airport authorities notified SAA that the main runway will be closed from 24 April to 23 July 2019 for maintenance and rehabilitation. However, the secondary runway will remain operational for the duration of the works and will be used for arrivals and departures of aircraft of appropriate categories/classes.
The aircraft size, which SAA operates to Blantyre, does not fit in the required categories/classes of the secondary runway, which will remain operational.
Operations will be affected until the maintenance is completed in July 2019.
SAA says contingency plans have been put in place for smaller aircraft, operated by SA Express to operate this route, with the exception of the Wednesday and Saturday flights.
“We have implemented contingency plans by using the SA Express’ Q400 turbo prop aircraft to continue with SAA’s schedule operations with the exception of the 24th and 27th April 2019, whereon no scheduled operation will be available to/from Blantyre.
“We apologise to our valued passengers and customers for the inconvenience caused by these cancellations,” says Tlali Tlali, SAA Spokesperson.
SAA operates a three weekly service between Johannesburg and Blantyre (Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays).Other customers will be re-accommodated to Lilongwe, as these operations are unaffected. These passengers will have an option of reconnecting from Lilongwe for onward travel by air or ground transport.
South African Airways Contact Centre details
South Africa: Johannesburg | +27 (0) 11 978 1111 or 0861 606 60
Malawi: Blantyre | +265 1820 991
All passengers that have not been ticketed will be rebooked onto the next available flight.
Ticketed Individual passengers and groups
Rebooking Conditions Applicable:
· SAA will rebook affected passengers onto the operation between Johannesburg and Blantyre, where applicable;
· Re-accommodation of reservations has been made by South African Airways onto the closest available flight between Johannesburg and Blantyre in the same booking class.
· Change fees will be waived
· Tickets must be re-issued on/before 07 May 2019. The booking owner may re-issue the ticket.
· Tickets to be endorsed “INVOL Re-RRT due BLZ RUNWAY Closure/Date”.
· A full refund of the unused portion/ticket will only be considered once the aforementioned options have been considered.
Find Your Escape by searching and comparing flight prices here. You can also sign-up for the Traveller24 Weekly Newsletter – Subscribe here. Or download the News24 App here, to receive expertly curated travel ideas and deals directly to your mobile.