Key attractions undoubtedly include the pyramids in Cairo to the temples and tombs in Luxor - earning the North African destination the title as a fascinating, timeless land.
Not without its conflict, Egypt's tourism levels took a considerable dip in the aftermath of the Arab Spring which started in 2011. However the destination remains relatively safe, with authorities aiming to ease security concerns.
Here's what South Africans need to know if they want to visit:
6 Guide essentials + things you should know:
Visas: A visa is required for South Africans. Apply online here.
Currency: Egyptian Pound (E£) Current Exchange Rate: E£1 = R0,81
Airport Hub: Cairo International Airport
Peak Season: Mid-October to May is the high season in Egypt
Language: The official language is Arabic
Time Zone: (GMT+2) Same time as South Africa
SEE: This resort town in Egypt is one of the 10 most searched destinations on Pinterest + Airbnb
- Sharm El Sheikh
- Pyramids of Giza
- Valley of the Kings
- The River Nile
- Temple of Philae
- Library of Alexandra
PICS: Archaeologists in Egypt discover ancient mummification 'workshop'
- Sail gently down the Nile River
- Cross the desert on camel-back and camp under the stars
- Stay overnight in a desert oasis and dive in the Red Sea
- Scuba dive in the Red Sea
- Take a hot air balloon over Luxor
SEE: #AfriTravel: Egypt's latest tomb discovery hopes to spur tourism
- Ful medames
- Hamam mahshi
- Rich and ancient historical sights like the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx
- The Nile River, boat trips and history
- Culinary delights from beloved baked goods to warm teas
- Starry nights under desert skies
- Modern cities that blend old world charm with modernity
WATCH:See whip-crackers unite at this festival in Austria
- Luxor temple
- Giza pyramid complex
- Abu Simbel temples
Find Your Escape by searching and comparing flight prices here. You can also sign-up for the Traveller24 Weekly Newsletter – Subscribe here. Or download the News24 App here, to receive expertly curated travel ideas and deals directly to your mobile.