Cape Town - As Game of Thrones fever spreads faster than Tyrion can down an ale, the imposing House of Stark for more than
eight centuries and the robust Kingdom of the North are no longer confined to
the greatly anticipated Game of Thrones Season 6.
Now you can make Winterfell come to life in more ways than one.
1. Trafalgar’s Celtic Filmscapes guided holiday in Ireland and Scotland gives you the chance to play the Game of Thrones yourself. Present-day Castle Ward in Strangford, County Down, just 40 minutes’ from Belfast in Northern Ireland, hurtles you back to a time of feasting, fighting and family feuds. This is Winterfell, where you will find the Whispering Wood, where Robb Stark sets up camp and where Brienne confronts the Stark men.
Dress up in the same outfits that Jon Snow, and Robb and Bran Stark wore and take aim in a replica of the Winterfell Archery Range that has been recreated in the courtyard in the very same spot that the filming too place. Spend the day exploring the filming locations, follow the pathway of King Robert’s Arrival Procession and see the armory and forge where Arya’s Needle was made.
- 11 days package tour from R36 053
2. A summerhouse in North of Westeros, Iceland
With Iceland representing the northern-most tip of Westeros, this Airbnb summerhouse is perfectly located an hour’s drive from Reykjavik.Fans will recognise the Thingvellir National Park from Arya's storyline and as the setting for the battle of the Hound and Brienne, as this listing boasts 360 degree views of the park itself.
- R2 501 per night based on two guests
3. Escape to the Old City in Dubrovnik, Croatia
Be part of the real life backdrop of Kings Landing. where part of Game of Thrones is filmed. This is a cool place to chill out, walk around, party hard (if you want to), and just enjoy life. The Sea Organ at Zadar is also a must-see and puts a whole new spin on the “ear to a seashell to hear the sounds of the ocean. If this sounds like your kind of holiday, the best option would be to head off on a pre-set tour. For the young traveller, a Contiki is a winner.
- 8 days package tour from R15 911
4. Admire the mud brick fortress in Morocco
This romantic, charming Airbnb listed riad features a gorgeous tiled rooftop patio, stone bathrooms throughout and terraces overlooking a central courtyard – a far cry from the troubles of Yunkai city. Enjoy exploring the temples and palaces before strolling the nearby streets and taking in an open-air market.
- R927 a night based on two guests