Cape Town – Whether you’re after the less-crowded rivers where fish are abundant but the fisherman are few, or perhaps you're looking for the best, undiscovered adventure river in the country, we've got the low down on the best lesser known rivers in SA.
While the East Coast of SA is well known for its multiple warm Indian Ocean estuaries, the west side of the country boasts with rugged adventure-inspiring rivers.
Here are Traveller24’s top 25 picks for lesser known rivers in SA, plus why we think they’re cool…
Lesser known river that have the best estuaries in SA
These estuaries make for the perfect swimming spots, as the water from the rivers usually made the ocean water warmer. Be careful swimming in the estuaries, however, as they are prone to rip currents and irregular tide changes.
1. Amanzimtoti (Toti) River, near Durban KwaZulu-Natal
2. Umngazi River, near Port St Johns, Eastern Cape
3. Little Brak River, near Mossel Bay, Western Cape
4. Gamtoos River, between Jeffrey's Bay and Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape
5. Knysna River, Knysna's Thesen Island, Western Cape
6. Boesmans River, Kenton-on-Sea, Eastern Cape
7. Gourits River, Gouritsmond, Western Cape
Lesser known rivers that are literally IN SA’s big cities
If you're not in the mood to drive out of town for a river adventure, no worries. All of SA's mayor cities boast rivers running right through them. These rivers and riverbanks are not only awesome for picnics and trail running, but also for canoeing and kayaking.
8. Liesbeek River, Cape Town, Western Cape
9. Umgeni River, Durban, KwaZulu-Natal
10. Apies River, Pretoria, Gauteng
11. Jukskei River, Johannesburg, Gauteng
Lesser known rivers in SA that are crawling with wild animals
South Africa is one of the few places on earth (South America's Amazon river aside of course...) where you can still spot natural wildlife in some of the rivers. Although the thought of crocodiles, river sharks (near the estuaries, usually) and hippos lurking in the water can be a scary thought, it's also pretty thrilling.
12. Mfolozi River, St Lucia, KwaZulu-Natal
13. Levubu River, near Rembander, Limpopo
14. Olifants River, in the Kruger National Park, Limpopo and Mpumalanga
15. Crocodile River, in the Kruger National Park, Mpumalanga
Lesser known rivers that are every adventure’s dream come true
Rivers are nature's own adventure parks, and with these gems at your disposal, the fun will never end.
16. Baviaanskloof River (contributory of the Gamtoos River), Baviaanskloof Mountains, Eastern and Western Cape
17. Berg River, near Franschhoek, Western Cape
18. Storms River, Tsitsikamma, Eastern Cape
19. Keiskamma River, between Port Alfred and East London, Eastern Cape
20. Kowie River, Port Alfred, Eastern Cape
21. Tugela River, Drakensberg Mountains, KwaZulu-Natal
Lesser known rivers that are the best fishing spots in SA
Fishing is one of the unofficial national sports of South Africa and it's a bug that's bitten many avid travellers. The best part is, most of these rivers also double as awesome adventure rivers, too.
22. Gamtoos River, between Jeffrey's Bay and Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape
23. Crocodile River, near Dullstroom, Mpumalanga
24. Komati River, southern Kruger National Park, Mpumalanga
25. Sundays River, Zuurberg Moutains, Eastern Cape
26. Kromme River, near St Francis Bay, Eastern Cape
27. Du Toits Kloof River, Du Toits Kloof Mountains, Western Cape
Please share your photos and travel experiences of your favourite SA rivers with us at email@example.com or post them on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram accounts - you could be featured on News24.