Cape Town - Low-cost carrier Mango says South African holidaymakers enjoy beach holidays best of all - but even more so when it comes to their honeymoons.
Mango asked it fliers on Facebook and twitter where they preferred to travel for the ultimate romantic getaway, and an overwhelming 65% of honeymooners voted for Zanzibar, as the Spice Island's popularity continues to rise.
Cape Town ranked as the second-best honeymoon destination for Mango fliers at 24%, while 10% say Durban is the best honeymoon spot.
When Mango asked travellers which types of holidays travellers prefer, beach holidays earned the most interest with 46% preferring sun sea and sand over the lower scoring 12% that say the hustle and bustle of the city makes for an ideal getaway.
A surprisingly large number of respondents opt for a quiet and secluded break as second choice to the beach at 37%.
Cape Town weighs in as the most popular South African leisure destination leading its closest rival, Durban while George and the Garden Route comes in third.
Johannesburg, while trailing amongst the favourites, does attract a fair amount of interest as a holiday destination too.
If you're travelling to Zanzibar, a visit to the ancient Stone Town is a must. Check out these 6 Things to do in Stone Town
1. Visit the old slave market and other historical buildings
2. Visit the Freddy Mercury ‘house’ and Mercury’s restaurant
3. Take a picture of David Livingstone’s house
4. Walk through the Darajani market
5. Forodhani street market
READ MORE HERE: Gathering moss in Stone Town
Travelling with the kids? See:
21 Cape Town activities to do with kids
21 Things to get up to with the kids in Durban
13 Cool ways to entertain the kids in Jozi
What to read next on Traveller24:
- fastjet’s new Zanzibar service adds healthy competition to Spice Island travel
- Gathering moss in Stone Town
- Sizzling escape in untouched Zanzibar
- Women24 Bride: All you need to know about your SA wedding