This city nestled in the south of France dates all the way back to Roman times, but has evolved into a home for innovation.
You'll find plenty of high tech startup companies and a vibrant student community alongside its antique buildings.
This hub of wine, culture and a favourable climate draws a slew of tourists in every year - and the pretty city leaves little to the imagination as to why it's such a beloved destination.
SEE: Quick Guide to France: Say Bonjour to your next escape
Places you should say Bonjour to during your visit include:
- Place de la Comédie - Montpellier's main square - where you can see the opera house, hitch a ride on a merry go round and check out the Fountain of the Three Graces
- Porte du Peyrou - this is Montpellier's Arc de Triomph that lets you soak in spectacular views of the city.
ICYMI: Urban vineyards: Parisians pick grapes for city vintages
- Market scene - you can traipse around one of the many bustling markets speckled throughout this lovely French city - like the Marché des Arceaux
- Museums - soak up some of the culture at one of the many museums located in and around the city - like the Musée Fabre
- Wine tourism - visit one of the many Châteaus of Montpellier to get a taste - like Château de Flaugergues
A LONGER Quick Guide to France: Vive la wanderlust
After a day of sight seeing and wine sipping - head on over to one of the many scenic and relaxing beaches, to kick your feet up and soak up a salty sunset.
Find Your Escape by searching and comparing flight prices here. You can also sign-up for the Traveller24 Weekly Newsletter – Subscribe here. Or download the News24 App here, to receive expertly curated travel ideas and deals directly to your mobile.