Cape Town - South Africans can gleam with pride as sustainable and responsible tourism in the country is on the rise - with three local tourism offerings being recognised at the WTM Responsible Tourism Awards 2017 at the World Travel Market (WTM) in London.
The prestigious Awards are presented annually at WTM London - in front of an audience of 600 key industry influencers and decision makers - and is the focal point of WTM Responsible Tourism Day which is the biggest responsible tourism event globally.
ALSO SEE: WTM London 2017: New projects set to transform SA tourism
This year’s Awards, that took place on World Responsible Tourism Day on Wednesday, 8 November, focused on tourism’s contribution to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s).
These are the categories of the Awards: Best for Accommodation, Best for Carbon Reduction, Best for Communication, Best Community Initiative, Best for Poverty Reduction and Best Tour Operator.
ALSO SEE: V&A Waterfront: From derelict seafront to responsible tourism beacon
Three South African tourism products - all based in the Western Cape - were given recognition at the Awards. Grootbos and Transfrontier Parks Destination were award category winners, while shark cage diving tour operator based in Gansbaai, Marine Dynamics, was one of the "highly commended" responsible tourism organisations around the world.
Marine Dynamics also recently won the prestigious eco-tourism award at the Skål World Congress, Sustainable Tourism Awards 2017.
SEE: SA's Marine Dynamics wins global sustainable tourism award
Here are all the 2017 winners:
- Best for Accommodation - Grootbos, South Africa
- Best for Carbon Reduction - Chobe Game Lodge, Botswana
- Best for Communication - City of Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Best Community Initiative - Sapa O’Chau Travel Social Enterprise, Vietnam
- Best for Poverty Reduction - Village Ways, India
- Best Tour Operator - Transfrontier Parks Destination (TFPD) South Africa
Highly commended responsible tourism offerings around the world:
- Crystal Creek Meadows
- Green Tourism Business Scheme
- Ol Pejeta
- TUI Cruises
- Marine Dynamics (South Africa)
What to read next on Traveller24:
- SA's newest eco-label to see expansion of Green Coast
- SA's Marine Dynamics wins global sustainable tourism award
- #EcoTravels: SA Overberg stay gets NatGeo nod for putting the planet first