Cape Town - Father’s Day, on 18 June, falls over a long weekend this year, giving us more time and opportunity to celebrate those special men in our lives.
With Youth Day celebrated two days before Father’s Day, the long weekend is bound to be jam-packed with events and festivities fit for families, friends and especially fathers.
SEE: Youth Day 2017: Must-do events across SA
If you haven't made a booking for Father’s Day lunch and dinner - you may want to consider a few other options.
What else can you do for, and with, dad that will be unique and memorable, without excessive planning or breaking the bank? Take a look at our suggestions:
Day trip in Paarl
An ideal hangout in winter for you and dad, Paarl offers something to keep you pleasantly warm and comfortable, whether you thrive in the cold season or simply cannot wait for the icy chill of winter to be over.
Start your day off early with a wholesome breakfast at Kikka - a family owned coffee shop and well-known florist in Main Street, then pop into Pearl Mountain Wines for serenity while indulging in a wine blend of choice, and finally, head to Spice Route for a one-stop experience for foodies, families and those who appreciate the varying flavours of SA.
SEE: #WinterEscape: Experience the flavours of Paarl
From wholesome meals and wine tasting, to a comfy spot to simply relax and chocolate tasting experiences, Spice Route offers something to suit varying tastes.
Golf day in Stellenbosch
Devonvale Golf & Wine Estate is a world class championship golf course, working wine farm with a restaurant, hotel and spa, which will host a competition for dads and their kids on Father’s Day 2017.
It costs R250 per adult and R200 for children under 18, and includes green fees, Father’s Day platter to share and prize giving. Tee times available from 11.30 am to 12.30 pm.
And, based on two recent unusual occurrences at golf courses, we can’t promise that you won’t happen to stumble upon snakes! Check this out:
WATCH: First a slithering python and now this - Black mambas go at it on Kruger golf course!
KZN Philharmonic Orchestra performances in Durban
The KwaZulu-Natal Philharmonic Orchestra returns to the Playhouse Opera in Durban for its four-week Winter Symphony Season of sublime world class music from 1 June until 22 June 2017, and if your father has an appreciation for classical music, then this is the treat just for him.
The Winter Season features top South African and international musicians in an eclectic programme. Concert Two takes place on 8 June, conducted by Daniel Boico and featuring soloist Philippe Graffin on violin. The concerts are every Thursday at 7.30 pm, so Concert Three will be on 15 June.
Daniel Boico will conduct the KZN Philharmonic Orchestra Winter Season 2017 Concert Two. (Photo: Supplied)
Single tickets are available from www.computicket.com, 0861 915 8000, or from Shoprite Checkers Money Market counters. It is cheaper to subscribe for the concert series though - for subscriptions contact 031 369 9438. For more information, contact 031 369 9438 or email email@example.com.
Day at the spa in Cape Town
Dads deserve only the best for all their toiling and a spa treatment may be just the fix they need. There are a number of ‘Men-only’ or ‘Manly spas’ around SA. Here are five in Cape Town to check out.
1. The Spa Room, situated in the Sea Point Medical Centre, is a male-only spa. Treatments include deep tissue massages, body scrubs, threading and a number of grooming treatments.
SEE: Head to the spa, just for the hell of it…
2. Sorbet Man at Cape Quarter offers a hot towel shave, scalp massage or a relaxing ‘Panic Mechanic’ massage.
3. Smoothe Beauty Bar at Eden on the Bay Mall boasts private rooms, with sometimes jazzy atmospheric music, and the staff are said to be “highly-skilled in tackling back-aches and that ‘bag of knots’ your dad is always complaining about”.
4. Glasshouse Rejuvenation for Men, situated in the Silo Precinct Building at the V&A Waterfront, is a male-only, “swanky” spa offering treatments including a hot towel shave, scalp therapy massage, foot reflexology or a post-gym/pre-work prep.
5. Aiyara Thai Spa, at Eden on the Bay Mall, specialise in ‘Nuad Thai’ massages which is focused on relaxation, bringing balance to the body’s various centres, healthy blood circulation and activation of the body’s ‘Sen’ or energy lines.
SEE: Hot or Cold: A long-weekend escape to suit your taste?
Whiskey tasting in Joburg
If you’re in Sandton, then a must-visit spot with dad on Father’s Day is MAXIM Lounge at The Davinci Hotel and Suites. It is said to be the only whiskey bar in area that serves “the rarest, most coveted whiskies on earth in an exclusive and private setting”, and was previously a cigar lounge.
ALSO SEE: Highest whiskey bar in the world + 3 spots to check out in SA
It was re-launched as a whiskey lounge, adding a few subtle changes to the decor and music. "We wanted to not only create a highly personal and unique experience for each whiskey aficionado, but help you find the serve that's right for you," says Robert Hodson, General Manager of The Davinvi Hotel and Suites. Read more about it here.
Winter picnics … anywhere in SA
Take trip down memory lane with dad while enjoying the simple pleasure of a picnic. Prepare some homemade treats – such as the goodies you grew up eating – and bring along the whole family for a picnic at one of South Africa’s National Botanical Gardens.
SEE: Winter mini-break: Enchanted family spoils at Cellars-Hohenort
What to read next on Traveller24:
- Snow hunting, whiskey sipping and soulful jazz - 6 wintry things to do this weekend
- Find Your Escape: Winter in the winelands
- 14 Winter festivals happening around SA