Cape Town - The fifth South African Premier Business Awards took place in Johannesburg on 30 January, recognising and rewarding the contribution of the country’s companies in growing and transforming the South African economy.
The awards, under the theme Rewarding Business Excellence, was hosted by the Department of Trade and Industry (the dti), Brand South Africa and Proudly South African.
The CEO of Proudly South African Eustace Mashimbye says “We acknowledge all the companies that fly our flag and work to build local procurement levels, in so doing creating jobs.”
ALSO SEE: SA's 4 key tourism exhibitions not to be missed in 2018
While thirty companies aimed for gold, a Boksburg-based company called Thata Ubeke Manufacturing, scored a double when it scooped two major awards in the ten categories.
Thata Ubeke Manufacturing which manufactures electrical and electronic sub-systems for the domestic and export markets walked away with the Black Industrialist and Manufacturer Awards.
Minister of Trade and Industry Dr Rob Davies says that the Black Industrialist Award is prestigious and the "government is demonstrating its commitment to supporting and increasing the participation of black people in the industrial space".
This was the second consecutive time that the company won the Black Industrialist Award, which according to Brand SA is "for companies with a high level of black South African ownership and operate in a manufacturing sector identified in the Industrial Policy Action Plan (IPAP) as key for the growth of the SA economy."
The Manufacturer Award recognises organisations that show effort to achieve world-class manufacturing standards and manufacturers that produce innovative products.
ALSO SEE: #CapeWaterCrisis: Tourism businesses must prepare to be water shortage 'guinea pigs' for global responsible tourism
Sumitomo Rubber South Africa, a tyre manufacturing company, also won two awards at the ceremony - the Enterprise Development Award and Investor Award.
The CEO of Brand South Africa Dr Kingsley Makhubela says they have awarded businesses "that are contributing positively to the economy and the various communities".
"These businesses truly understand the importance of making positive strides to the contribution of South Africa’s global competitiveness. Congratulations to all the winners,” he adds.
And the winners are...
- Black Industrialist Award - Thata Ubeke Manufacturing (Pty) Ltd
- Enterprise Development Award - Sumitomo Rubber South Africa
- Exporter Award - Aerosud Aviation (Pty) Ltd
- Investor Award - Sumitomo Rubbers South Africa
- Manufacturer Award - Thata Ubeke Manufacturing (Pty) Ltd
- Play Your Part Award - Clover Mama Afrika Trust
- Proudly South African Member Company Award - La Van Skin and Body Excellence System
- SMME Award - Memeza Shout (PTY) Ltd
- Women-Owned Business Award - BBD Steel Supplies
- Young Entrepreneur Award - Gridbow Engineers and Technical Services
What to read next on Traveller24:
- #LoveSA: 30 local businesses vying for top Brand SA honours
- SA's 4 key tourism exhibitions not to be missed in 2018
- #CapeWaterCrisis: Tourism businesses must prepare to be water shortage 'guinea pigs' for global responsible tourism