Get your splash on at SA's non-beach wet spots this summer. (Photo: iStock)
Are you tired of packed beaches?
Not a fan of sand between your toes, hair or in your nose?
Feeling salty about the icy seawater of the Saffa coast?
Well, why not get your splash on at one of SA's non-beachy water spots.
Whether you wish to add fishing to your trip or just float about the tranquil waters - these fresh water pit stops are sure to have you feeling refreshed.
From rivers, to lakes, to dams - we have all of your watery needs served fresh to help you stave off the blistering summer heat.
Cool down at one of these South African fresh water pit stops this summer:
The Golden Province's wet spots:
Where better to start than the landlocked province of Gauteng? Get your splash on at one of Gauteng's beloved wet spots:
- VAAL RIVER - GAUTENG & FREE STATE BORDER
- JUKSKEI RIVER - JOHANNESBURG
READ: Public pools and waterparks to cool off at all summer
- WEMMERPAN DAM - JOHANNESBURG
- KLIPDRIF DAM - GAUTENG & NORTH WEST BORDER
ICYMI: Find your chill at these top pools with views across SA
The Sunshine Province's fresh water havens:
Why not dip your toes into one of these fresh water nooks and crannies of the Eastern Cape?
- DARLINGTON DAM - GLENDALE
- SWARTKOPSRIVIER - PORT ELIZABETH
- GREAT FISH RIVER NATURE RESERVE - MOOIHOEK
- BOESMANS RIVER - KENTON-ON-SEA
CHECK OUT: #LoveSA: Get fishy around Eastern Cape's waters
- BRIDLE DRIFT DAM - EAST LONDON
- UMNGAZI RIVER - PORT ST JOHNS
- WRIGGLESWADE DAM - STUTTERHEIM
- KOMMANDODRIF DAM - COMMANDO DRIFT NATURE RESERVE, TARKASTAD
EXPLORE: Around the Rivers: An adventurer's guide to exploring the Sunshine Coast
The Mother City Province's wet spots:
Splash around in these fresh water hubs around the Western Cape:
- THEEWATERSKLOOF DAM - RIVIERSONDEREND
- SILVERMINE RESERVOIR - CAPE TOWN
- STEENBRASDAM - GORDON'S BAY
SEE: Going where the rivers flow: 3 top SA rowing adventures
ALSO CHECK OUT: 25+ lesser known rivers of South Africa, and why they’re awesome
The Spicy Province's fresh cool down spots:
If you can't take the heat in SA's spicy province and need to escape the beach rush too, try out one of these fresh water options speckled around KwaZulu-Natal:
- ALBERT FALLS DAM - ALBERT
- MIDMAR NATURE RESERVE - HOWICK
- UMGENI RIVER - PIETERMARITZBURG
ALSO READ: Quick guide to Madiba’s long walk to freedom: A day trek around KZN
- WAGENDRIFT DAM - ESTCOURT
- MHLALI RIVER - DOLPHIN COAST
- AMANZIMTOTI (TOTI) RIVER - DURBAN
Find Your Escape by searching and comparing flight prices here. You can also sign-up for the Traveller24 Weekly Newsletter – Subscribe here. Or download the News24 App here, to receive expertly curated travel ideas and deals directly to your mobile.