Sports entertainment fans are gearing up for the WWE, but perhaps you might prefer a little bubbly and oysters. If the kids need some entertaining, the beloved Peppa Pig is in town too. Phumlani S Langa has your schedule sorted.
- What: WWE Live
- Where: Sun Arena @ Time Square, Menlyn Maine
- When: 20 April @ 20h00
- Tickets: R460 to R1 975 at Computicket
They might have left e.tv and left most of us in the lurch, but they are in town to put on a show that only the WWE can. Catch all your favourites from Roman Reigns to Sasha Banks in what will be the highlight of all local sports entertainment fans. The crew will make a stop at Grand West Casino in Cape Town on 18 April and at Ticketpro Dome in Johannesburg on 21 April.
- What: Pretoria Bubbly and Oyster Festival
- Where: De Kloof Restaurant
- When: 15 April @ 09h30
- Tickets: R160 to R445 here
Is there a better pairing in the universe? Join the good folks at De Kloof and maybe bring a date along. You know what they say about oysters.
- What: Fun Quiz Evening
- Where: Lucit Restaurant, Rietondale
- When: Every Wednesday @ 19h00
- Tickets: Free entrance
Everyone is welcome to this fun night of quizzing and drinking. Test your general knowledge and even learn a thing or two. Who said parties can’t be educational?
- What: Sounds of Gospel and Jazz
- Where: Roodepoort Theatre
- When: 15 April @ 17h00
- Tickets: R100 at Webtickets
Most genres draw on both gospel and jazz in some way or another. Imagine a day of nothing but these timeless genres. Catch Trevor Benson – a pedagogue, musician, singer and songwriter, Henrich Isaacs and Wesley Milliondollar, who will provide you with some angelically smooth sounds.
- What: Ladies Night at News Café
- Where: Maponya Mall, Pimville
- When: 19 April @ 18h00
- Tickets: Free entrance. Check the Facebook events page for more info.
Ladies, News Café has got you covered. At the end of what I’m sure has been a busy week, why not kick back with some friends and enjoy some music provided by the resident deejays? Grab a drink and just chill for a moment, you deserve it.
- What: MTB Skills Clinic – Fundamentals Level One
- Where: Ubuntu Kraal, Dube
- When: 21 April @ 07h00
- Tickets: R650 one-off payment. Unlimited rides thereafter. Book your spot via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Riders of all skill levels are welcome to this clinic that will teach you the fundamentals of mountain biking. The emphasis of the clinic is on neutral and ready positions, pressure control, braking techniques and taking your riding skills to the next level, no matter what level you are at now.
- What: The Newcastle International Jazz and Heritage Experience
- Where: Newcastle Showgrounds
- When: 21 April @ 13h00
- Tickets: R200 to R850 at Computicket
Oleta Adams, Zonke, Ringo Madlingozi and Zamajobe are just a few of the artists performing at this year’s festival. Come for a day of premium music in a relaxing atmosphere.
- What: Pinotage and Biltong Festival
- Where: Perdeberg Winery
- When: 14 and 15 April @ 11h00
- Tickets: R200 at Computicket
Two of South Africa’s most beloved items have been brought together for this festival. The scenery is lush and more than 18 wineries have selected more than 50 varieties of their best Pinotage, which will be available for tasting and purchase on the day.
- What: Durban City Marathon
- Where: Jonsson Kings Park Stadium
- When: 15 April @ 05h30
- Tickets: R80 to R200 at Webtickets
This is a test of true grit. I always wonder what would drive a person to run a marathon, but fitness is something to strive for. You do have options in terms of distance, so what do you feel like? An intense 42.3km, a slightly easier 21.1km or the laid-back 10km? It all seems rather tough to me.
- What: Peppa Pig Live in SA!
- Where: The Playhouse Company
- When: 20 - 22 April
- Tickets: R199 to R799 at Computicket
The kids will go ballistic for this loveable character and her friends. Based on an award-winning television show, the stage production will be a fully immersive, musical journey with familiar and original music.
- What: Indlabeyiphika Maskandi Festival
- Where: Ellis Park Arena
- When: 21 April @ 10h00
- Tickets: R100 to R300 at Computicket
Maskandi music doesn’t often get the shine it deserves. If you’re in need of a dose of that wholesome traditional music then this is perfect. A whole day with a jam-packed line-up, this should be a party for the ages.
- What: Black Chronicles IV
- Where: Fada Gallery, Bunting Road
- When: On until 30 May
- Tickets: Free entrance
The much-awaited fourth instalment of this stirring photographic and multimedia exhibition is a collection of studio portraits reprinted from original glass plates and archived prints. It centres on the visual presence of black figures in Victorian Britain and includes portraits of the founder of the first women’s organisation in South Africa, the Bantu Women’s League, Charlotte Maxeke, and her sister, Katie Makanya.
- What: Ustad Rahat Fateh Ali Khan
- Where: Centre Court, Emperors Palace
- When: 21 April @ 20h00
- Tickets: R250 to R3 000 at Computicket
Music legend and international award-winning singing sensation Ustad Rahat Fateh Ali Khan has been mesmerising audiences for three decades. As one of the most popular Bollywood playback singers, he has released more than 50 TV serial title tracks, 100 film songs and dozens of original chart-topping hits. Catch him live in South Africa.