Winner of International Free Press award denied visa to receive award in US

2017-10-23 06:30
Post a comment 0
(iStock)

(iStock)

Cairo — The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists says a Yemeni journalist has been denied a visa to the United States where she is set to receive a press award.

The CPJ said on Sunday said that prominent Yemeni journalist Afrah Nasser may not be able to attend the November 15 ceremony to receive the International Free Press Award.

SEE: UPDATE: New US travel ban targets 8 countries, as Sudan given reprieve

The Trump administration in September announced the most recent US travel bans, which include restrictions on Yemeni citizens.

Nasser, who is also a citizen of Sweden where she now resides, wrote on her blog that she applied twice and was rejected by both times by the American embassy in Stockholm.

"I am currently applying for the third time, and I am not optimistic," she wrote.

SEE: Afghan girls robotics team granted US visas as Trump intervenes

With the institution of the first version of the US Travel ban, a six members of Afghanistan's all-girls robotics team had been denied entry to attend the US international robotics competition - the same competition South Africa's Mighty Minds will be attending later this month.

Trump eventually intervened and granted the girls their visas. 


What to read next on Traveller24:

Germany to extend passport controls along some borders