Cape Town - The Golden Gate Highlands National Park proved once more why it is "the jewel of the Free State". In case you were not convinced, The Free State Provincial Lilizela awards confirmed just why this Park deserves a spot on your travel bucket list.
The Provincial Lilizela Tourism awards are well underway leading up to the National Awards ceremony on 30 October and the Free State winners have recently been announced.
The Lilizela Awards recognise and reward tourism players and businesses who work passionately and with pride to deliver a world-class product and service and whose delivery grows South Africa’s global destination competitiveness. Furthermore, they give industry role-players an opportunity to learn from each other and share ideas.
The Golden Gate Highlands National park was awarded in the following categories:
- Golden Gate Hotel & Chalets: Winner in the three star Hotel category
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park Mountain Retreat: Winner in the three star Self-catering Exclusive category
The park has also been selected as a finalist in the following categories:
- Golden Gate Hotel & Chalets as a finalist in the 3 star Self-catering Exclusive category
- Golden Gate Hotel Conference Centre as a finalist in the MESE category
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park Basotho Cultural Village as a finalist in the 3 star Self-catering Exclusive category
“We are truly elated at this achievement, the hotel has proved once again that it can be run successfully in a national park without degrading the environment. We have proved once again that we are a force to be reckoned with.” said Victor Mokoena, Acting Park Manager of GGHNP.
Come October, The Golden Gate Highlands National Park will compete against winners from other provinces to be crowned national winners.
What to read next on Traveller24:
- Lilizela Tourism Awards: Eastern Cape dominates as finalists announced
- SANParks week: Free things to do in the Garden Route
- Luggage check-in: Your domestic travelling cheat sheet!