KwaZulu-Natal is a year round attraction for beach-goers with consistent great weather and warm water. Say what you will, Capetonians, a dip at a KZN beach goes down much easier than braving the icy Benguela current along the West Coast.
Along with these perfect beach conditions, KZN beaches are stepping up in terms of safety, amenities, cleanliness and environmental standards. It's no surprise that nine KZN beaches have been awarded Blue Flag status for the 2016/2017 summer season!
Altogether 58 Blue Flags have been awarded in South Africa of which eight boats and five marinas have also been awarded! Click here to view the full list of Blue Flag destinations.
ALSO SEE: PICS: Blue Flags wave proudly across 58 SA beaches
Since its launch in 1987 in France, the Blue Flag programme has continued to grow, not only with regard to the number of member countries and sites involved, but also in its range of expertise within marine and freshwater environments. WESSA is proud to be the national implementing partner for Blue Flag in South Africa.
Holiday makers heading to KZN can look forward to basking in the sun at nine top notch beaches:
1. Marina Beach, Southbroom (Blue Flag status for 15 consecutive years)
2. Trafalgar beach, Port Edward (Blue Flag status for 8 consecutive years)
3. Lucien (Blue Flag status for 7 consecutive years)
4. Umzumbe (Blue Flag status for 7 consecutive years)
5. Southport (Blue Flag status for 5 consecutive years)
6. Ramsgate (Blue Flag status for 4 consecutive years)
7. Hibberdene (Blue Flag status for 2 consecutive years)
8. Westbrook (Blue Flag status for 2 consecutive years)
9. Ushaka (Blue Flag status for 2 consecutive years)
What to read next on Traveller24:
- Sunshine Coast: A complete guide to Port Alfred
- EXCLUSIVE: WATCH: Joburg market sells illegal wildlife products just down the road from CITES CoP17
- Greening SA: Blue Rock Village developments underway